About the Opportunity
NLU Delhi’s The Centre for Communication Governance (CCG) is inviting applications for its DIGITAL (Digital Rights and Inclusive Technology for All) Fellowship 2021, for 10 months on a full-time basis.
About NLU Delhi’s CCG
The Centre for Communication Governance at National Law University Delhi (CCG) is a research center within NLU Delhi and is meant to ensure that the Indian legal education establishment engages more meaningfully with communication law and policy, and offers an academic contribution to communication policymaking.
CCG seeks to embed constitutional rights and good governance within information law and policy and examine the evolution of existing rights frameworks to accommodate new media and emerging technology. It aims to protect and expand the rights to dignity and equality, freedom of speech, right to assembly and association, and the right to privacy in the digital age, through rigorous academic research, policy intervention, capacity building,
and litigation support.
The Centre routinely works with a range of international academic institutions and policy organizations. These include the Berkman Klein Center at Harvard University, the Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy at the University of Oxford, inter alia. They also regularly engage with government institutions and ministries such as the Law Commission of India, Ministry of Electronics & IT, Ministry of External Affairs, the Ministry of Law & Justice, and the International Telecommunications Union.
Recently, several vital questions relating to freedom of expression and privacy in the digital age are yet to be clarified by the courts. Currently, Indian courts are grappling with questions on intermediary liability, the legality of provisions in Indian laws enabling surveillance, website content blocking, and internet shutdown orders, to name a few.
However, digital rights litigation in India is currently facing significant challenges including resource constraints in terms of research and domain expertise, and also inadequate collaboration among the different lawyers engaged in cases in this space and civil society organizations working on these issues. To address these issues and give further impetus to this essential work, CCG is excited to announce the DIGITAL Fellowship 2021.
- Duration: 10-month, full-time Fellowship
- No. of fellows to be awarded: 2 to be awarded by a Selection Committee
- Placement of the fellows: Either in specific civil society organizations undertaking litigation around digital rights or litigation chambers that are involved in significant digital rights litigation.
- Commencement: The Fellowship will commence in January 2021.
- Stipend: A monthly, non-negotiable stipend of INR 50,000 /- will be provided to each Fellow.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Fellows
- Litigation research, drafting, and briefing
- Research and policy output
- Building a national network of digital rights stakeholders
- Fellows will also establish and maintain a pan-India network of lawyers working on digital
Applicants for the Fellowship must –
- Be born on or after January 1, 1988;
- Be registered with the Bar Council of India;
- Demonstrate a strong interest in and commitment to the development of digital rights;
- Have excellent legal writing, drafting and oral advocacy skills.
Preference will be given to applicants with a minimum of two years’ experience in litigation.
Please Note: CCG is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages persons from SC/ST backgrounds, minority religions, LGBTQI+ persons and persons with disability to apply.
How to Apply
Include the following in the application form:
- A two-page Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- A writing sample (published or unpublished article, essay, blog) between 1000-2000 words on a topic related to the Fellowship.
- Names and contact details of two professional or academic referees who can be contacted for an oral or a short written reference (to be filled in the form).
- Also, please combine the CV and writing samples in a single PDF file labeled as “Your name – DIGITAL Fellowship”. The PDF should be uploaded on the link provided in the application form.
December 22, 2020, 11:59 PM IST.
Please Note: Candidates interested are advised to read every instruction very carefully before applying. Click here for full information.