About the Opportunity
Amazon Retail, a subsidiary of a US-based MNC, is looking to hire for the job post of Corporate Counsel based in Bangalore.
Amazon.com, Inc., is an American multinational technology company based in Seattle, Washington, which focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence.
It was founded by Jeff Bezos in Bellevue, Washington, on July 5, 1994. The company started as an online marketplace for books but expanded to sell electronics, software, video games, apparel, furniture, food, toys, and jewelry. Amazon is the largest Internet company by revenue in the world.
Amazon Retail operates similarly to large big box stores and is a lot like adding Amazon as a retail trading partner. Suppliers negotiate wholesale prices for their items, which Amazon then purchases, merchandises, and resells on the Amazon.com website.
Role and Responsibilities
- Structuring, drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of matters for the Food Retail Business in India
- To advise on high-dollar value transactions and cutting-edge business initiatives
- Providing day-to-day corporate and business law counseling
- Providing legal review of structured programs, legal review of procedural and government / internal compliance issues.
- Supporting the tax related issues arising in the day to day operations and those related to structuring of business.
- Throughout all the above tasks the Corporate Counsel will closely coordinate with the global legal teams and outside counsel.
Qualification and Experience
- LL.B. (undergraduate law degree) from a recognized university in India. Additional CS qualification is desirable.
- Experience: 8-10 years or more of in-house legal experience with a multi-national company or a leading law firm environment is highly preferred.
- Experience working in a consumer-products, manufacturing, FMCG, e-commerce or retail business and knowledge and experience of tax laws and secretarial function is also preferred.
- Competence in a broad range of corporate and business laws, foreign direct compliances in retail, product compliances, Legal Metrology and Food Law is required; especially in the areas of commercial transactions and intellectual property (esp. copyright and trademark) and statutory compliances.
Skills and Competencies
- Competence in broad range of corporate and business laws, especially in both Indian domestic and trans-national commercial transaction and intellectual property (esp. copyright and trademark);
- Extensive experience and strong skills in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Extensive experience in analyzing and responding to regulatory and compliance matters.
- Excellent ability to analyze and assess business processes, spot issues and propose/implement solutions.
- Ability to function autonomously yet communicates laterally and upwardly with ease.
- Strong legal and business judgment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and coordinate complex issues and projects with diverse levels of management and employees.