About the Program
The Legal Analyst Program 2021 is a first-of-its-kind initiative by Sequoia India. The program aims to attract lawyers from top corporate practices in India who will work closely with the Sequoia India legal team, for a fixed term of two years. The role will involve assisting on handling investment transactions, and advising portfolio companies of the Sequoia Capital India funds across India and South-East Asia on strategic issues. This will be a unique opportunity for corporate lawyers to learn the nuances of how a VC Fund functions and gain in-depth experience working on related legal matters
Role of Legal Analyst
The LA role has been designed to provide hands-on experience of executing investment transactions end to end from a fund perspective. This will involve interacting with stakeholders at different stages of the investment, both internal and external, such as investment team members, finance team members and founders of portfolio companies.
The LA will have the opportunity to assist Legal Counsels on different ranges of funding provided by Sequoia Capital India’s varied investment programs, such as Seed, Surge, Venture and Growth stage investments, both in India and South East Asia. The role may also include providing legal support to portfolio companies on post funding conditions and other strategic matters when required, as well as handling internal legal and compliance matters of the fund.
- Two to three years of post-qualification experience (PQE).
- Five year or three year LLB program graduation from a recognised university in India or abroad.
- Prior experience in investments or M&A, including conducting due diligence, drafting and reviewing transaction documents (Term Sheets, SHAs, SSAs, SPAs, etc), and closing documents. Experience in advising on venture capital or private equity investments will be an added advantage.
- Experience working on commercial contracts, establishing and reviewing compliance measures, and providing advice on corporate and commercial laws.
- Experience or deep interest in legal tech, data analytics or legal innovation will be an added advantage.
Terms of the Program
- Duration: Two years
- Engagement model: Fixed term employee with Sequoia India
- Compensation: Competitive
- Number of LA positions open: Three
- Location: India. Please note that Sequoia India is currently in work from home mode, however, a candidate based in Bangalore or with the ability to relocate to Bangalore when the offices reopen will be preferred.
Who Should Apply
The LA program will be of value to legal professionals who have a deep interest in the venture capital industry and the tech start-up ecosystem. Professionals who are considering a career as an in-house counsel, funds lawyer, or a law firm lawyer focused on the tech or funds domain, will benefit most from this program. The successful candidates will also get international exposure, working on deals across India and Asia, with a cross-cultural team.
- Applications are open till December 21, 2020.
- Please note that this is only a two-year, fixed-term engagement.
- For any specific queries regarding your application, you may write to email@example.com.
- Visit the official website here.