UN Women’s program ‘We Empower Asia’ seeks the services of a national consultant/technical expert to be placed at the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) in developing gender-responsive recommendations based on a consultative process and review of women’s labor rights for the National Action Plan (NAP) on Business and Human Rights and presented to the Ministry.
More About It
UN Women – in partnership with the European Commission is implementing a regional program (covering 7 countries: India, Indonesia, China, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, and Viet Nam) “Promoting Economic Empowerment of Women at Work in Asia – WeEmpower Asia’ to contribute to the economic empowerment of women, recognizing them as beneficiaries and partners of growth and development, by the increasing commitment of private companies to gender equality and women´s empowerment and strengthening companies’ capacities to implement these commitments.
The program will achieve this through three complementary outcome areas to be implemented in seven selected middle-income countries in Asia:
- Women’s networks, public institutions, and the private sector will collaborate and share expertise and knowledge to build an enabling business environment for women’s economic empowerment in the workplace and in the market place,
- The capacity of women-owned businesses and women entrepreneurs will be developed to enable them to engage with government and private sector corporations in policy development and dialogues for advancing women’s economic empowerment, and
- The private sector will be supported to implement gender-sensitive practices and culture within their businesses through the take-up of the Women Empowerment Principles (the WEPs – a set of guiding principles to achieve gender equality within companies).
The guiding platform will be the Women’s Empowerment Principles – a set of Principles for businesses offering guidance on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace, and community. Coordinated by UN Women and the UN Global Compact, the Principles emphasize the business case for corporate action to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment and are informed by real-life business practices and inputs gathered from across the globe.
The program will target women-led enterprises and networks, multi-national companies, and relevant stakeholders to promote business opportunities for women entrepreneurs and women-owned enterprises while supporting national and inter-regional dialogue and exchange of good practices to increase the capacity of the private sector more broadly in the implementation of gender-sensitive business culture and practices.
The program will liaise closely with key Indian Government Ministries/Departments e.g. with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in supporting its commitment to the promotion of socially responsible businesses. With the gender equality perspective, the program will provide technical advice and support for policy development at the national and sectoral levels, and assistance for policy implementation through strategic partnerships leading to women’s economic empowerment.
Under WEA, UN Women supported the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, in developing gender-responsive recommendations based on a consultative process and review of women’s labor rights for the National Action Plan (NAP) on Business and Human Rights and presented to the Ministry.
UN Women seeks the services of a national consultant/technical expert to be placed at the Ministry of Corporate Affairs who would bring in analysis, research, and technical expertise to mainstream gender through in the national policy instruments including but not limited to: National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights (NAP), National Guidelines on Responsible Business Conduct (NGRBC) as well as the research support to assess the implementation of mandatory laws on promoting gender equality in the corporate sector and demonstrating responsible business conduct.
Duties and Responsibilities
Providing technical expertise to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs in the following areas:
- Review National Guidelines on Responsible Business Conduct (NGRBC) and provide inputs and recommendations from a gender perspective to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs;
- Undertake research to assess the implementation of mandatory laws by companies on promoting gender equality in the corporate sector and demonstrating responsible business conduct;
- Technical support to the Ministry on mainstreaming gender in their ongoing programmatic and policy initiatives including National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights;
- Facilitate MCA’s collaboration with UN Women’s WEPs leadership training programs and other interventions on promoting inclusion and diversity in companies;
- Travel as required.
- Develop and submit gender-specific recommendations/ indicators for National Guidelines on Responsible Business Conduct (NGRBC) on which companies will report their progress, in alignment with Women’s Empowerment Principles (February- March 2021).
- Report on assessment of the implementation of mandatory laws by companies on promoting gender equality in the corporate sector and demonstrating responsible business conduct. (by May 2021).
- Technical support to the Ministry on mainstreaming gender in their ongoing programmatic and policy initiatives including National Action Plan on Business and Human Rights. (ongoing).
- Identify areas of collaboration around UN Women’s training programs on leadership, diversity and inclusion, and other relevant interventions with MCA (ongoing).
Required Skills and Experience
Masters’ degree in Gender and Development Studies, Law, Public Policy/Administration, or any Social Sciences.
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience in policy research.Demonstrable understanding of gender, business and human rights, development, policy, and issues in the context of women’s economic empowerment and Indian private and corporate sector companies.
- Relevant papers, articles, and knowledge products published.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Strong written skills in English and good command of Hindi as a medium of communication.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants should apply through UNDP jobs site:
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11).
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Criteria for shortlisting of CVs will be based on the following assessment:
- Required Degree and Qualification (5 points)
- Expertise and Experience relevant to the assignment (10 points)
- Demonstrable experience in research and policy advocacy with the government and other stakeholders (5 points)
The evaluation process for the selection of the candidate will be based on the following assessment:
- Writing Samples (20 points)
- Interview (80 points)
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact erecruit.helpdesk[at]undp.org
For complete, official information about the role, click here.