Applications are invited from all eligible candidates for the post of ‘Law Clerks (Trainee)’ on a contractual basis in the establishment of the High Court of Uttarakhand at Nainital.
About the Opportunity
The High Court of Uttarakhand, at Nainital is calling for applications for the job post of Law Clerks (Trainee) on a contractual basis for a period of one year.
Number of Vacancies
- Three year Professional/Five Years Integrated Degree in Law from a reputed Law College or recognized University throughout the country.
- Applicant should be a Law Graduate who has not started practice as an advocate or engaged in any other profession or vocation/service.
- Advocates up to 05 years of practice can also apply, but they will have to surrender their license to the Bar Council before joining, if selected. Those candidates who have appeared in LL.B. (Final Examination) in 2020-21 and are awaiting results may also apply. They will be required to submit their final mark sheet of LL.B. Examination before the joining.
- Computer knowledge i.e., Data Entry, Word Processing and Computer Operations.
- Age Limit: The candidate must have attained the minimum age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of more than 26 years as on 31/ 01/2021.
A candidate having more than one spouse or married to such a person who already has a living legally wedded wife/husband, will not be eligible for the above post.
- A candidate involved in any kind of criminal case whether convicted or charge-sheeted shall be barred from applying for the above post.
- Those candidates who have already worked as Law Clerk (Trainee) will not be eligible to apply.
For making selection, competence would be judged on the basis of the interview only, which will be held at Nainital. No T.A. will be payable for attending the interview. The date & time of the said interview will be uploaded in the official website of the Hon’ble High Court of Uttarakhand.
Nature of Work
- The successful candidates will be attached with Hon’ble Judge(s) and shall discharge duties under the directions of their Lordships.
- Carry out search and research on legal points and principles as desired by the Hon’ble Judge(s) with whom he/she remains attached.
- Assist the Hon’ble Judge in searching out case laws, articles, papers, and other relevant material as required by the Hon’ble Judge(s) in the discharge of their judicial work and any other works as assigned by the Hon’ble Judge(s).
- To be present in the Court during the hearing of the arguments, take down or prepare notes in cases.
- Performing legal research, drafting memorandums and opinions, comment on statutes, regulations, or such scholarly commentary relevant to questions of law, textbooks, and other materials.
- Drafting a memorandum on particular subject/subjects including issues involved in the case or on any other topic.
- Proper maintenance of case files.
- Assistance in preparation of research of academic papers, maintaining a record of judgments, points of Law decided in various judgments by a Judge, maintenance of records, and the like.
- Apart from the above-mentioned duties and responsibilities enumerated above, the Law Clerk (Trainee) shall perform any other duty as assigned by the Judge concerned with regard to his judicial and administrative functions.
The nomenclature “Law Clerk (Trainee)” makes it abundantly clear that they shall be imparted training with regard to the procedure and substantive law to assist the Hon’ble Judge in discharging their judicial and administrative functions.
The Law Clerk (Trainee) will also be provided the schedule of training and the details of the nature of the job, which they have to perform during their year of engagement. Specific assignments shall be given by the Judge with whom they are attached.
Restriction of Practice
Judge’s Law Clerk (Trainee) from the date of termination of his/her engagement as Law Clerk (Trainee) shall not appear or practice before the Hon’ble Judge(s) with whom he/she remained attached for a minimum period of one year.
Further, he/she shall not appear in any case handled by the Hon’ble Judge(s) with whom he/she remained attached, irrespective of whether he/she had or not worked on the case during the period of his/her engagement. The candidates shall furnish an undertaking to the above effect.
Other Conditions of Engagement
The Law Clerk (Trainee) shall be governed by such rules of attendance, leave, and other related matters as might be prescribed from time to time by Hon’ble the Chief Justice, High Court of Uttarakhand at Nainital.
Period of Engagement
The engagement shall be for a fixed tenure of one year, which may be terminated without notice at any time. However, the tenure may be terminated at any time, if the incumbent is found lacking in any manner.
How to Apply?
- The application form can be downloaded from the website of the High Court of Uttarakhand and may be sent along with a fee of Rs. 150/- through postal order or bank draft in favor of Registrar General, High Court of Uttarakhand at Nainital.
- The application form along with one self-attested copy of the High School mark sheet, High School Certificate in proof of age/date of birth, Intermediate Mark Sheets, Intermediate Certificate, Law Graduation/Post Graduation Mark Sheet and Certificates and testimonials regarding extracurricular activities & Computer Knowledge along with two self-addressed envelopes (size 5”x 10”) each bearing postal stamps worth Rs. 22/- should be sent to the Registrar General, High Court of Uttarakhand at Nainital either by Speed Post, Registered Post with A.D., or through Courier.