The Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy is an independent think tank doing legal research and assisting the government in making better laws. Vidhi is committed to producing legal research of the highest standard with the aim of informing public debate and contributing to improved governance. Vidhi works with Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, as well as other public institutions, providing research and drafting support at various stages of law-making. Vidhi also conducts and freely disseminates independent research in areas of legal reform which it believes is critical to India’s future. Vidhi is an equal opportunity employer and neither practices nor tolerates any kind of discriminatory behavior.
Vidhi Karnataka is looking for two (2) Research Fellows who will be expected to:
- Undertake high-quality research on issues related to the legal aspects of urban governance, property rights, waste management, and public health.
- Prepare reports, research notes, and presentations
- Coordinate and attend meetings with government officials, academics, researchers, and other stakeholders
- Engage with government officials on ongoing and new projects in drafting laws
- Organize and attend consultations with key stakeholders for informing and disseminating Vidhi’s research
- Write articles, blogs and participate in podcasts to disseminate research work.
- An undergraduate degree in law.
- 0-3 years of work experience, (a master’s degree will be counted as one year of work experience).
- Working knowledge of Kannada (spoken and written).
- Good research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Prior experience of working and publishing on critical issues relating to law and policy in Karnataka in the context of urban governance, public health, waste management, or property rights.
- Prior experience of undertaking empirical research
This is a full-time position based out of Bengaluru.
The Fellow will be engaged in this position for a duration of one year, and renewal shall be subject to performance and availability of funds.
Salary will be commensurate with the level of skill and experience.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates should apply through the online portal and must submit the following documents merged in one document;
- Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) is not more than two (2) pages.
- An original writing sample of not more than 1000 words with an in-depth analysis on any recent legal issue pertaining to any of the aforementioned themes, demonstrating the candidate’s legal analysis and writing skills.
- A brief statement of motivation in applying for the position, in not more than 500 words
- Names and contact details of two referees who may be contacted for references. Referees should be either someone who has directly supervised your work or has taught you a course at the university level.
The deadline to submit applications is the 15th of February, 2021.
Queries may be sent only through e-mail titled ‘Vidhi Karnataka: Application for Research Fellow’, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the 16th of February, 2021.