Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha is a human rights organization committed to the strengthening of the state and judicial mechanisms for the benefit of ordinary citizens. Since our inception in 1997, our primary work revolves around ensuring civil and political liberties by addressing torture, extrajudicial executions, problems in the criminal justice system, sexual violence against women, and attacks on Human Rights Defenders. Since civil and political liberties are intricately tied to economic, social, and cultural rights, we also focus on issues such as the socio-economic marginalization of the erstwhile enclave dwellers, restrictions on the livelihood and socio-economic deprivation of citizens living near the Indo-Bangladesh border, and erosion-affected areas, forced eviction, and so on
Banglar Manabadhikar Suraksha Mancha (MASUM) seeks to hire a Research and Advocacy intern to help with its human rights initiatives against torture, extrajudicial killings, and atrocities committed against the populace at India – Bangladesh border and for securing the rights of the erstwhile enclave dwellers of India and Bangladesh, including women rights.
Duration of Internship
Full-time (10 AM to 6 PM), 4-8 weeks
Serampore, Hooghly, West Bengal
Responsibilities and Duties
- Drafting fact findings received from the field into coherent complaints
- Conducting fact findings on the incidents of human rights violations through undertaking field visits
- Writing reports and assisting on a research project on torture at the Indo-Bangladesh border
- Drafting complaints and replies to be sent to various state authorities and the National and State Human Rights Commissions.
- Assisting with writing and updating content for MASUM’s website
Requirements to comply with
- Pursuing studies in the field of law, political science, social work, or other related disciplines.
- Working knowledge of English and Bengali (preferred)
- Knowledge of working with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Minimum full-time commitment of 4 weeks
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic knowledge of the Constitution of India and International human rights mechanisms
- Willing to undertake work-related travel especially to various parts of West Bengal
- Ability to work with the victims of torture, extrajudicial killings, and other grave violations of human rights
MASUM is willing to provide accommodation for candidates who are likely to face difficulties in the course of travel.
Procedure for Application
Interested candidates may apply by sending their CV and a cover letter highlighting their experience, interests, and motivation to work with human rights. Applications should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Internship-Research and Advocacy” latest by 25 March 2021